Friday, February 1, 2008

Those crazy gaming kids

A link to the trailer for Second Skin, a forthcoming documentary about MMO gamers. So far, they seem most interested in the commercial, gamey-game spaces, specifically WOW and EQ, although their front page mentions Second Life as well. I'll be very interested to see how they handle their subjects - from inside the culture, or as interesting and unusual specimens. Personally, I have high hopes, particularly since they start with "your mom might be a gamer!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm interested in finding out more about the player who said his whole life just fell apart while he played WoW. I know that happened to someone Monica knows, and it's sort of happened to a young pair I know, too. I'd like to see this guy's perspective on it.

I'm also interested in the Chinese gold-farming sweatshop workers. I hope they do an in-depth interview on one of the workers. Maybe we can get more insight into why Asian MMOs (as far as I've tried and heard) are all grind-fests.

I do have a problem with the big subtitles at the end saying "all in a world that doesn't exist." I understand what they mean by it, and I know the definition of "exist" is blurred like so many other terms. I consider worlds in games as worlds existing, but I guess that just depends on my definition. Other than that picky detail, I'm looking forward to watching this documentary when it comes out.