Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Identifying with Avatars

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_114/1474-Sociolotron-How-the-Other-Half-Plays

What the author describes in the article is a completely different circumstance from slaying giant bats and rats, and the game Sociolotron is more of a sim than a commercial RPG. However, the author makes some interesting observations on identity and how he viewed his avatar that I think can transfer over to games like WoW, GW, and other MMORPGs.

I noticed when he spoke of actions done to his avatar, he switched between "Janet" and "me." I'm guessing a lot of people switch like that when talking about their MMO avatars or characters they play in other games.

2 comments:

Michael said...

He became very, very uncomfortable with the actions of his avatar. I looked at the website for this game and I think that calling it different would be an understatement.

dhiraj said...

The avatar would be akin to someones alter-ego, like some people with split personality. Does that call for a new stream of psychiatric studies dedicated only to virtual-itendity based disorders?