Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Just like it's like taking a book out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhJKvualUA0&feature=related

This is an interview with Raymond E. Feist, a writer who gave Dynamix game developers permission to make a game based on his fantasy world. He didn't actually write for Betrayal at Krondor (which is why he says when he played it, he was surprised). Feist liked how the game developers worked in his world that he later wrote a novelization of the game (Krondor: The Betrayal) and sequels.

Betrayal at Krondor was well-received by players and critics, as stated by Wikipedia, although I'm not sure if the game sold as well. People today might say it's too much reading, but I don't mind all the reading if it's decent like this game, Quest for Glory, or Daggerfall.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I actually have played Betrayal at krondor to the end. It is a sterling example of writing for an older PC game. It also had a great battle system. I used to be a huge fan of Sierra and their point an clicks. The writing for Quest fo Glory has always been superb and I enjoyed the way the characters carried over from each title. In fact, Roberta Williams is my favorite game designer.

Brian Smith said...

Combined with this and Hitchhiker's, what is it about some novels that translate so well to games? It's obviously not all of them, but there seems to be a niche there. I suddenly remember there are discworld adventure games and suddenly wonder if they're good.

Also, everytime I hear someone complain about too much reading in a game, I remember the reviews to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and get the uncontrollable urge to slap someone. If the writing's good, a bit of reading shouldn't be a problem.

Nice find.

dhiraj said...

If I remember correct, the last time I played this game was in 1995, completed a great deal of it but never finished. After than I got into playing doom and quake series and other FPS games. I haven't looked the RPG-genre way since. Return to Krondor almost tempted me to get back to this series (after all Sierra made Betrayal at Krondor freeware)

Since you explore in a first person view, I always had the feeling that you are more a part of the story then when in Third person. The text based cutscenes at the beginning and end of each chapter is great back then. And as Brian noted, if the content is good, the reading wont hinder the gameplay.