Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Simple? Minimalistic? Inane or Intelligent?

I was myself left with these one-worded questions after I successfully "finished" this game aptly named You Have to Burn the Rope. Before reading any further I would recommend you to play this game, so that my post wont spoil it for you. After I read an article on 1up.com about this insanely simple flash-based game that has become an instant web hit, I thought I should play this game. You are play as this small fella with seemingly unlimited number of axes in his cache. But to kill the level boss you have to just "burn the rope". As if the game elements, graphics, self-explanatory title were not simple enough, the creator also mentions the method to kill the boss!

As the author Kian Bashiri commented, "It's about games being easy and cliched. Some people have said that it's about games being too hard and that's not something I intended really, but I think it applies too. I don't think it's good when a game has 600+ hours of gameplay." This is almost synonymous to what I mentioned in one of my previous posts titled "It really has to be that "f***ing stupid"?" where BioShock director Ken Livine says, "If you want people to follow your plot, it has to be really f****** stupid! In recent times plot has been highlighted as an area in which games fall short, but do we really want to be caught up dissecting a story for hidden messages and meaning. Or, do we just want to sit back and be entertained?"

The full article on 1up.com can be found
here and the game here.

1 comment:

Brian Smith said...

I love this game. Saw it a while back. Can't get that credits song out of my head. A simple piece of minimalistic satire with a lot of humor behind it. Made my friends play this.