Monday, March 3, 2008

Independent Games Festival

http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html#Noitu

I was not aware of the Independent Games Festival before I just now looked it up. Usually when I heard the term "independent game," I think of 8-bit games or "playful" software that didn't do much aside from something "neat." I missed a whole world of gaming. The link takes you to the finalists and winners of the IGF. Be sure to look at a few of their sites.

I watched Crayon Physics Deluxe and tried Tri-Achnid. Both have beautiful art and music, and the mechanics in Tri-Achnid are very intuitive.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I played Galaxy Scraper, the opening level of which requires you to feed a "bio-planet" (kind of like Marvel's Ego) and then get fart-ejected onto another one. Quite funny. I also played Synaethete and Empyreal Nocturne. Many of the winners seem very innovative and at the very least, creative. I didn't know this existed but I will look forward to it in the future.

Monica Evans said...

For future reference: I'd like to see student teams from UTD send games to this festival every year. Both in scope and innovation, it's very much in the realm of possibility for us.

I haven't gotten a chance to play most of these games yet, but I've been enjoying Audiosurf these past few days! Crayon Physics Deluxe and Word of Goo are the two I'm most looking forward to.

Brian Smith said...

Yeah. There's some amazing independent games out there. A lot of my friends are addicted to Audio Surf. I like to keep up on the independent games myself and have a rather nice collection.

kpenn said...

Very cool. So far I just watched the video for crayon physics, but I am excited about all the others.